I call this Weber Bread rather loosely. I'm not really sure how the recipe came to be, but I received it very shortly after marrying Dave from his mom with the note: Bread - makes great toast, a Weber favorite. Up to that point, I don't think I had ever made "real" bread, but it was something I had always wanted to do. So, hooray! here was a yummy recipe. Over the past 14 years, it's been made many times around here and greatly enjoyed. I hope it will be a nice addition to your family as well.
Weber Bread
1 pkg dry yeast
1 T sugar
1/2 c warm water (110-115 degrees)
Dissolve yeast and 1 T sugar in the warm water. Let stand in warm place for 10 min to "proof"
---------
1 beaten egg
1/2 c melted margarine (I use butter)
1 1/2 t salt
2 c warm water
1/2 c sugar
8 c flour
Add all other ingredients, except flour, together. Then mix in proofed yeast. Add flour one cup at a time, stirring. When it becomes too stiff to stir, turn out on floured counter, knead remaining flour by hand. Add enough flour until elastic (this stage is something that you come to recognize, don't stop after just a couple kneads - it is probably about 6-8 min of kneading). Turn into greased bowl, let stand, covered in a warm place until doubles in size - probably about 1.5 hours. Shape into loaves, place in bread pans, rise again - probably 1 hour or so. Bake 375 for 35-40 minutes. Makes 2 large loaves. Cool on wire rack out of pan.
Enjoy!
